Cheerleading poems are in a different class than cheer chants and serve to boost the spirits of cheerleaders everywhere.
Traditional Cheerleading Poems
Almost every squad knows some of these traditional cheerleading poems and quotes. The poems are passed down as a right of passage to new squad members. These are poems that a cheerleader's mother probably knows and maybe even her grandmother. Sometimes, these cheerleading poems are short and edgy. At other times, they are longer and more involved.
Short Cheer Quotes
There are many short sayings common among cheerleaders. Some are used to motivate the cheerleader and keep his/her own spirit boosted in order to continue to boost the spirit of the fans and team. Other cheerleading poems are funny or interesting. Here are just a few:
- From the Quote Garden: A good cheerleader is not measured by the height of her jumps... ~ Author unknown
- From Quotery: Simply because we do not run across goal lines or slam dunk basketballs... ~ Author unknown
- From The Perfect Title: A cheerleader is a dreamer... ~ Author unknown
Longer Traditional Poems
There are other inspiring cheerleading poems out there that you may not have encountered before. Here are a few outstanding selections found at various cheer websites.
- The Champion Within: This poem speaks to the heart of cheerleading, of never giving up. Sometimes you may not look like a champion on the outside, but you are still a champion on the inside.
- A Cheerleader Within Us: This particular poem speaks of never giving up and true cheer spirit.
Unique Squad Poetry
Although there are some common cheerleading poems that almost every squad knows, there are also poems that many squads make up and share with the outside world, either through the Internet or other forms of publication. Many cheerleaders are also very creative. Learning and making up new cheer chants for basketball and football can serve as inspiration to write longer poetry. There are many cheer poetry websites out there, but here are some of the better ones:
- Cobequid Cougars: This very talented team has made up some wonderful poetry that you'll enjoy if you are a cheerleader or just someone who admires the sport. One of the better poems is called The Contest. Another great poem on this site is Good Enough is Never Enough.
- New Paltz Cheerleaders: Cheerleading is a Way of Life digs into what cheerleading means to this squad. You can also find cheer tips and videos of the squad cheering.
New and Edgy Cheer Poetry
There are many different sites where cheerleaders can share new poetry or sayings with one another. Here are just a few of the more interesting poems:
- What Is Cheerleading?: This cheerleading poem digs into the sport behind cheerleading and what it means to be a cheerleader.
- Cheerleading: This poem is about finding your niche in life as a cheerleader.
If you enjoyed some of these poems, you may even want to try writing your own poetry. Sites such as Teen Ink offer online courses for budding teen poets, and they will publish poetry on their website. Why not try writing an original cheer poem of your own? If you wish, you can share it in the comments box below.