Cheerleaders in the center north of the United States may want to check out cheer competitions in Wisconsin. The Wisconsin Association of Cheer/Pom Coaches (WACPC) offers an excellent resource for coaches and squads to learn more about how to compete and what competitions are available in the Badger State. The majority of events occur between November and February each year. Many squads reserve the spring and summer months for camps and preseason training.
Different Cheer Competitions in Wisconsin
There are plenty of competitions available for school squads, dance teams and All-Star squads. You'll also find competitions all across the state of Wisconsin.
- The Comet Classic Cheer and Dance Competition occurs in early November at Delavan-Darien High School in Delavan, Wisconsin. The competition offers both cheer and dance team events and individual performances. Comet Classic also allows teams of four to compete in a stunts category. Coaches will want to be sure and review the rules regarding jewelry, conduct, run-ons and run-offs, with their squads. This event offers Universal Cheerleaders Association (UCA) judging. Registration is typically only $15 per person.
- The Wild Badger Championship is also held the same weekend as the Comet Classic, but occurs in Green Bay. The event is put on by the Great Lakes Championship Company (GLCC). The focus on the tour is an event that is competitive but fun. You'll find fun side activities like Cheer Idol where some teams can do exhibitions. There is no charge for the side activities for squads that are competing in other events. Every team gets a trophy, plaque or record. Every cheerleader receives a medal, trophy or a ribbon. There are divisions for All-Star squads and schools.
- Toward the end of November, Menomonee Falls Cheerleading hosts the Indian Invite at the local high school. There are several divisions for a variety of different types of teams to compete.
- In early December, the UCA Milwaukee Championships are held at the Midwest Airlines Center in Milwaukee. The point of contact for this event is Varsity. The event serves as a qualifier for the National High School Cheerleading Championship (NHSCC). Cost is $35 per participant for schools and $55 per participant for All-Star squads.
- Wisconsin Spirit puts on the Holiday Spirit Championship each December. It is one of the oldest cheer events in the state. Every squad that competes receives a trophy at this event. The event follows U.S. All Star Federation (USASF) for rules for All-Star squads. Starting rates run from $25 to $45, depending on when you register and in which category.
- The WACPC puts on the Wisconsin State JAM Cheer and Dance Championships on the same day in the same location. JAM is geared for school squads instead of All-Star squads.
- Wisconsin State Cheer Championship Series is put on by the WACPC. The competition is held at the end of February at the Brown County Veterans Memorial Arena in Green Bay, Wisconsin. Teams must qualify at a regional event to attend the state championship.
Other Wisconsin Cheer Competitions
Wisconsin has a large selection of cheerleading competitions. Other notable competitions include the Badger Cheerleading Championships in Madison in February and the Raider Classic at Wisconsin Rapids Lincoln High School. If your team would like to compete into March, you may want to check out the ELITE International Championship at the Kalahari Resort in Wisconsin Dells. Choose only a handful of competitions to qualify for state, or practice your skills at many different venues.